Monday, January 11, 2016

Today Is A Really Sad Day. But Not For The Reason You Think.


Photograph: Masayoshi Sukita Masayoshi Sukita/The David Bowie Archive

David Bowie died today. 


Unless you don't Internet much, you probably knew this a few times over. 

I've since seen every news source I've ever heard of, publish a report on his death. This is to be expected, considering the footprint he left on American culture.

I never knew him personally, but I certainly knew who he was. I also know many of my friends have mourned repeatedly today over the news.

It’s truly, truly sad a fellow human being has passed away. And furthermore, that it occurred at the hand of a terrible disease such as cancer. What a painful and difficult finale that must have been. Every ounce of genuine sympathy that I can muster is gifted from me to him; it is truly somber. 

But here’s the deal America.


All I had to do was search “death” on Google News and narrow the results to ‘Today’, in order to uncover hundreds of other people who perished this last weekend; scores of which didn't fall at the mercy of mortality, but whose lives were abruptly stolen at the hand of a fellow human. 

I’m not ashamed to admit that I ugly-cried over a few of these stories. I flinch reading them for that very reason; but it was a powerful reminder to me of the gratitude I should have for my life, and as a Christian, an amplified appreciation to my Savior and His capacity to save them from the pain or injustice they and their families may have to now endure.

And yet…

David Bowie did not persuade such a tear. I couldn’t tell you exactly why. 

Perhaps because he was an explicit sexual deviant. Perhaps because he spent the majority of his life springing from hard-drug-to-hard-drug. Perhaps because he voluntarily rode the self-consuming vanity bus that was progressive Rock’n’Roll.

Perhaps because he was a fashion nut and I’ve always perceived them as a bunch of confused peacocks, flashing absurd colors and dances in eager anticipation for attention.

Perhaps my shoes are too tight, my head not screwed on just right, or my Bowie poster is 2 sizes too small.

I see the angry mobs already forming behind the computer screens.

"His music was incredible!" you say.
"His life was so influential!" Yep. Apparently. 

So these were his ultimate contributions? Fair enough. I can see why some would place value to those things.

But for me, well, I'm not convinced listening to his music nor studying his career is going to elevate my spiritual life, or even necessarily welcome the spirit into my life.

You may disagree. Heck, you may wish me dead for saying so whilst feeling loss for David's. That’s a perfectly acceptable irony as far as I’m concerned.

But, because the internet is flooded with Bowie, I have decided to spend the day learning about the other people who died today. 


Let's be clear here. I'm not suggesting he was a bad person undeserving of commemoration. Was he flawed? Of course. We all are. I don't happen to admire him, but that's not the itch I'm trying to scratch.

What I'm suggesting is that this man was a public example of a lot of things "not" to do with your life; an example that is being heavily covered and revered because of his status. And simultaneously, hundreds of other lives escape unnoticed. Lives that may have very well curated more substance and eternal value in the world.

"Just because I mourn for David doesn't mean I don't care about these other people," you yell.
"I can care about more than one person, Brady!" your furrowed eyebrows scream.

Oh, I don't doubt you can. The question is, did you? Did you check the other obituaries? Did you read these stories today? Did you share a news report about them? Did you post a somber reflection of their previous existence?

According to my social newsfeeds, no. You didn't.

That's the principle issue here. I've always observed that celebrities (intentional or otherwise) cast an unfortunate shadow over those around them - that's what happens when others lift you to a higher status. And it's consistently clear that this shadow follows them at death.

I ache today because there were mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, soldiers, teachers, leaders, heroes, victims and unknowns who lost their lives this last weekend. These people also deserve my sympathy, consideration and respect.

In truth, I’d wager some of them may deserve it more, and so I owe them at least the same magnitude of awareness to the value of their legacy.

So before you share yet another news story on Bowie...


Perhaps take that minute and find someone else’s story of surrender. You may be surprised to see what incredible things they had contributed to society, and the height of the wake that their passing will have on their community. 


That's my challenge to you.


Perhaps only then can we observe the valuable ripple of a life we would have otherwise ignored, as it reverberates unnoticed in the sea of imaginary giants.









No comments:

Post a Comment